First aid kit
Crashing at startup because of corrupt settings file
In case the program used to work, but now crashes at startup, there's a chance there might be a corrupt setting stored which causes the crash during the initialization phase.
In order to solve this, you can simply remove the settings file. However, before removing the file, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, as this gives us the rare opportunity to exactly reproduce the crash and solve it at the root!!
The settings file is stored at the following location:
- Windows: C:\Users\[yourUser]\AppData\Local\LabNation\default.xml (AppData is a hidden folder)
- Linux: ~/.local/share/LabNation/default.xml
- Android: Ideally you can access this file by connecting with a USB cable to your PC. Alternatively you can simply fix the issue by deleting the App data (in Android Settings > Apps > SmartScope > Storage > Clear Data).
Regarding this file, please:
- first send it to email@example.com
- then delete it (with the app closed)
- restart the app
Windows: cannot install new version of software/driver
- you get an error message during the installation of the SmartScope app ("There is a problem with this Windows Installer package...")
- the SmartScope app cannot find the SmartScope (USB icon remains red) even when a SmartScope is actually connected
make sure you go through the following checklist:
- make sure all programs are closed; especially those which might be accessing the SmartScope; and try running the installer again.
- ensure the 'Windows Update' service is running. To do so, run 'msconfig' and go to Services tab. Find Windows Update, and make sure the checkbox is ticked. (you can disable it again after the installation, but for some reason Windows likes to check whether it finds a newer driver than the one in our install package)
- restart your Windows machine and try running the installer again.
- in the SmartScope app, go to Menu -> System -> Install driver (which does essentially the same as the driver part in the installer..)
- In Windows, start Device Manager. Verify if you have an entry 'Universal Serial Bus devices' -> SmartScope. Right-click and make sure you check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Unplug and replug the SmartScope. Try either of steps 1-2-3 to install the driver again.